Sunderland Forum - Original And "Family Friendly"
Join Us If You Support SAFC Or Have Wearside At Heart!

Old Shops or Stores in Sunderland

The Sunderland Forum is all about local issues. The City of Sunderland includes Washington, Houghton and Hetton. However, we allow news, views and gossip from all areas surrounding Wearside.
Bystander
Candidate
Candidate

Old Shops or Stores in Sunderland

Post by Bystander »

Old Shops or Stores in Sunderland - Wearside area

Shops and such come and go and this had me thinking if anyone has fond memories of shops or stores that are now gone. Even just mentioning them might remind others.

Napoleon once described the Britain as a nation of shopkeepers and most oldies can remember corner shops everywhere with many others in the middle of the streets.

There should be some fond memories on this subject so I will start.

As a kid in the seventies we would make what I would describe as catapults and cross bows and use wire staples as the projectiles. We used to pop over to the town where the bus would drop us outside a hardware/ironmonger store called Strothers in John Street. They would sell us a quarter of a pound of the things but I can't remember the price.

Strothers has long gone from John Street but I always look over the road where it was with a smile on my face. Someone told me that Strothers still exists today in High Street West in Sunderland but I never venture that way so I wouldn't know. It wouldn't be worthwhile me looking there anyway as it was the shop location at that time.

Jools
Local MP
Local MP

Re: Old Shops or Stores in Sunderland

Post by Jools »

Binns :D
Sunderland had the second biggest department store in the country outside London. Harrods was the biggest then we had Binns in Sunderland.

The store has long gone now but the building still stands in Fawcett Street after being taken over by Wilkinsons or Wilko as some call it. That wasn't the only building to be run by Binns, the other part of the store was across the road where the council have taken over and William Jameson's stand. The two buildings were connected with a tunnel under the road.You could have got lost in Binns it was that big.

The demand for this type of store was becoming less and less and trouble was in the air. I think the surviving members of that departmental group changed the profitable stores into what is known as The House of Frazer.

If you look at all the public transport from old Sunderland you will see that almost all has an advert with "Shop at Binns" on it.

Trams with the Binns adverts passing the store in Fawcett Street.

The Binns name above the store.

Both sides of the Binns were almost completely destroyed in World War II with German incendiary bombs.

Bus stops outside the store.

Video of the Binns store here - you may recognise yourself.
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/history-n ... -1-5361215

I Love Sunderland
I Love SAFC
I Love Wearside
monty
Local MP
Local MP

Post by monty »

Anyone remember Jarams in Southwick?
There was Dix as well I think that was a paper shop in Beaumont Street - Sid Dix he was.
Annie Wrights - was that the bookie on the corner as well.
Billy Baker the butcher on Southwick Green.
The Dummies barber/hairdresser on the Southwick Green.
The Joke shop also on the green.
Finally the cobbler on Thompson Road - just can't remember the name of that one.

wongeye
Sunderland Casuals
Sunderland Casuals

Post by wongeye »

monty wrote: Finally the cobbler on Thompson Road - just can't remember the name of that one.
I could be wrong but wasn't that cobbler on Thompson Road called Sharp or Sharps?
I remember getting segs there for our shoes.
I am pretty sure I have the name right.

Moony
Active Citizen
Active Citizen

Post by Moony »

wongeye wrote:
monty wrote: Finally the cobbler on Thompson Road - just can't remember the name of that one.
I could be wrong but wasn't that cobbler on Thompson Road called Sharp or Sharps?
You could be right with that one. He was an old bloke and I remember getting the segs there for our shoes. They made a right old racket when you walked about and our shoes were not up to much either :lol:

You stuck a few to the soles and heels of your shoes and you could slide on the ground with them. Boy could they make sparks.

Here's what segs looked like - these call them "shoe protectors".